The Writing Desk Reference Section: Repair tips
How to lubricate the piston on a TWSBI Diamond (5xx and mini)
You will need: pen wrench and silicone grease (supplied with the pen), toothpick or cocktail stick.
- Empty all ink from the pen and flush it clean with water.
- Loosen the piston knob far enough to insert the spanner (wrench) supplied with the pen.
- Tighten the piston knob so it is gently in contact with the barrel (important step to ensure piston parts remain together).
- Unscrew the piston assembly from the barrel clockwise (it is a left-hand thread) and put the barrel safely to one side.
- Apply a small amount of silicone grease (supplied with the pen) to the rubber piston seal using a toothpick or cocktail stick. Do not use a cotton bud as this will leave fibres behind.
- Re-fit the piston assembly to the barrel by screwing it anti-clockwise.
- Check that the piston is operating smoothly.
The TWSBI User Manual can be found here.
Also see this video for disassembly and reassembly techniques.