The Writing Desk Reference Section: Repair tips
How to replace the barrel on a TWSBI Diamond 530, 540, 580 or Diamond mini
You will need: pen wrench and silicone grease (supplied with the pen), new barrel, toothpick or cocktail stick.
- Apply a small amount of silicone grease (supplied with the pen) to the inside wall of the new barrel using a toothpick or cocktail stick. Do not use a cotton bud as this will leave fibres behind. Put the barrel to one side for a moment.
- Empty all ink from the pen and flush it clean with water.
- Unscrew the nib unit from the front of the barrel and set aside safely.
- Loosen the piston knob far enough to insert the spanner (wrench) supplied with the pen.
- Tighten the piston knob so it is gently in contact with the spanner (important step to ensure piston parts remain together).
- Unscrew the piston assembly from the barrel clockwise (it is a left-hand thread). Note: the Diamond 530 and 540 have a metal sleeve at the end of the barrel. This sleeve is part of the barrel, not part of the piston mechanism. New barrels do not have this metal part so it is not needed.
- Fit the piston assembly to the new barrel by screwing it anti-clockwise.
- Fit the nib unit to the new barrel.
The TWSBI Diamond 530 and Diamond 540 User Manual can be found here. The same procedures apply to the Diamond 580, Diamond 580AL and Diamond mini.
Also see this video for disassembly and reassembly techniques.